Sunday, October 2, 2011

October, Rain, and a little bit of Insanity

Beautiful 2nd grade girls

 
The weeks are going by and God's presence is strong.  October is here and so is the rain! Here is just a quick recap of the past few weeks:

I met (err well not really met... listened to I suppose) Jim Elliot's brother-in-law at a Missionary conference this weekend.  If you don't know who Jim Elliot is-- he was the missionary who was killed in Ecuador in the 1950's by a tribe of Indians.  His wife later ministered to the same tribe.  Very inspiring story!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  -- Jim Elliot

The speaker had been a missionary in Costa Rica for years and had a lot of interesting stories.  The conference was in Sigua, but for missionaries all over Honduras.  Because of school and Destino church I didn't get to attend a lot of it, but the two "talks" that I heard were quite interesting. There were about 130 people there mostly families with children (lots of children).

I've done some "nesting" I guess you could call it... like buying glasses and a salt and pepper shaker.  Making home.  Really home. 

Bowen, Jenna, and I started Insanity.  It is supposed to be 60 days... but because of our schedules it is looking like it might take us... a little bit longer.

I feel a little behind and my to do list keeps growing... but in the end I know that I am here to shower God's love and mercy on these kids.

Also::  We are looking for a PE teacher if you or anyone you know is interested!







------------------Hmm.... and a knock at the window---------





A boy and his mother just showed up at my house with a small question about English.  2 hours later and reinforcement from Bowen, Osman is now a little bit more ready for his exam tomorrow.  I guess. 
Life is so interesting here.  The unexpected because the norm.

Last Saturday (I think) Bowen and I had Malerie over for a FEAST.  We have a delicious coconut shrimp tradition.  But, it was enhanced by well:  running out of coconut so also having garlic shrimp, and the addition of coconut rice, red lobster biscuits, salad, homemade dressing and tortillas, steak, oh yea... all of it.  Oh, and of course Dani and Jenna.
















"Joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls."
                   -- Mother Teresa

Lord, give me an abundance of joy as I minister to these kids and these people.

1 comment:

  1. I bet it was great hearing from Jim Elliot's Brother-in law!! How inspiring to hear other stories of sacrifice and service. I'll be looking for your gym teacher...or at least praying about it. I'm really trying to talk to my brother about it!! :)

    ReplyDelete